Frequently Asked Questions

These are some of the common questions candidates have regarding our application process. Please review these questions to ensure that you are familiar with our requirements.

1. What if I don't have a copy of my high school transcript?

You can contact your high school or district Board of Education.

2. What if I was educated outside of Ontario?

You can obtain transcripts from the district where you attended school.

3. High School Transcripts

You must have your High School Transcripts with you when completing this online application in order to answer specific questions regarding course codes and grades. You will need to copy details from your transcripts in your online application. You are not required to attach a copy of these documents with your resume/cover letter.

If you are selected to meet with us, you will be required to bring a copy of your high school transcripts to the interview. Your transcripts will be used to validate your course grades and confirmation of graduation.

Any other supporting transcripts if applicable (i.e. GED, Community College, University etc ) will be also required as outlined in questions # 4, # 5 below.

4. What if I have a GED?

General Educational Development (GED) is an international testing program for adults who have been unable to complete high school. We recognize that adults acquire knowledge, skills, and concepts through working, training, travelling, reading, and other informal learning. GED Tests measure the level of "educational maturity", gained through experience, which is often equal to, or above, the level of a high school graduate. GED Tests are available in Canada.

If you have a GED, simply record "GED" in the course code box in the online application.

If you are selected for an interview, you will be required to provide us with a copy of your General Educational Development (GED) at that time.

5. If I did not take Grade 12 English or Math or a GED, what is another "equivalent"?

An equivalent may consist of an English, Math or Science course etc that was taken at a higher or equivalent & recognized educational institution (i.e. Community College or University). If you successfully completed such an equivalent course, simply record the applicable course code in the online application.

If you are selected for an interview, you will be required to provide us with a copy of your transcript at that time.

6. Do I need to provide you with a copy of my resume and cover letter in the online application?


It is mandatory to include your resume. We recommend you cut and paste, attach a file (DOC, DOCX, ODT, RTF, PDF, HTML or TXT), or manually type a copy of your resume in the online application. For format purposes, we recommend you cut and paste your resume from a Microsoft Word Program.

Cover Letter:

A cover letter is optional. This will be included with your resume as above.

7. I am still in school taking math and/or English and/or science/electrical: can I still apply?

No. Please apply once you have graduated.

8. How long will my application stay on file?

Your application will stay on file until all interviews and selections are concluded. You will be notified by email if you have an interview or if you were not selected.

9. Can I send you my resume via fax or mail?

No. The PWU/Hydro One JAC will no longer be accepting emailed, faxed or mailed copies of applications. Any unsolicited resumes not submitted via the on line process will be destroyed.

If you require special assistance completing your application please refer to the Technical support link and we will assist you.

10. How do I apply for a Skilled Trade position at Hydro One?

In order to complete the online application, you can apply at and clicking "Apply Now" at the bottom of the page.

Alternatively, please visit or and click on the PWU/HYDRO ONE APPRENTICESHIPS button. This will lead you to the appropriate website.

11. When do you plan to hire in 2020/2021?

Each Hydro One Skilled Trade opportunity is open to accept applicants for a period of approximately 2 weeks once every year. We recommend you check the links below:

  • Construction & Maintenance Electrician Apprenticeship
  • Industrial Millwright Apprenticeship
  • Truck and Coach Technician Apprenticeship
  • Powerline Technician
  • Utility Arborist
  • Meter Technician Trainee
  • 12. Can I apply to different apprenticeships?

    Yes. You can apply once to any of the apprenticeships so long as you meet the requirements for each.

    13. Once I submit the online application, how will you communicate with me?

    You will be notified by email acknowledging receipt of your application. All further communication will be sent to the email address you provided, including a possible invite to an interview or an advisement of non-selection.

    14. What if my contact information should change after I submit the online application?

    You may make changes to your personal information and resume at any time during the opening dates of the position. Simply log on using your email and password.

    15. Accessibility

    In support of persons' with disabilities, Hydro One asks that any job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process are to advise Human Resources (Joint Apprentice Council Team) in the event you are contacted for an interview or testing so that suitable accommodation can be arranged.

    In the event you require assistance in completing our online job application due to a disability please contact us at

    (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards).