Hydro One/Power Worker's Union Apprenticeships (Skilled Trades)
Skilled trades and technicians make up a large portion of Hydro One's workforce. The Power Workers' Union (PWU) represents the majority of the skilled trades and technicians working at Hydro One. Our people are the best in the business and we offer a rigorous apprenticeship and training programs that lets you learn on the job with experienced Hydro One employees.
Skilled trades and technicians play an important role in our economy and our society. Hydro One and the PWU are leaders in the development of its skilled trades and technicians. We are constantly looking to the future, and for new ways to be efficient, safe and productive. That's why we look to people like you to help us get there. Our standards are high, our training is challenging, but our work environment brings out the best in people and puts their energy to good use!
Skilled Trades and technicians contribute to our success and vision to be the leading electricity delivery company in North America, guided by our values of safety, stewardship, excellence and innovation.
The Hydro One/Power Workers Union Joint Apprentice Council (JAC) is proud to be responsible for the design and oversight of the apprenticeship training program. Hydro One and the Power Workers also work together to ensure technician trainees receive the same high quality training programs to ensure their success. These programs are best in class to: attract, select and develop well qualified skilled trades and technicians to meet our needs for today, tomorrow and generations to come.
If you fit this profile and would like to be considered for any of our apprenticeship and technician trainee opportunities, apply today.
Prior to proceeding to the application process, please ensure you have the following information readily available to complete your application. If you do not have this information, please refer to the FAQ section for further information before proceeding.Electronic copy of your personal Resume to be available for copy and paste (mandatory)Electronic copy of your cover letter to be available for copy and paste (optional)For the Electrician, Powerlines Technician, Utility Arborist, Truck and Coach Technician and Cable Splicer apprenticeships a copy of your High School Transcript(s) which includes course codes and marks (mandatory)For Meter Technician Trainee applicants, if you are selected for an interview, you will be required to send us a copy of your College Diploma or University Degree showing successful completion of the mandatory Community College/University programs. (mandatory)
- General maintenance and repair work on electrical systems and equipment; ground-level visual inspection of power and stations service transformers
- Overhauling, maintaining, and inspecting equipment: batteries, conductors and insulators, compressed air systems, switchgear, transformers, rotating machines, distribution stations and equipment
- Data collection/Equipment operation: assessing equipment condition, filing blueprints, insulator contamination testing.
Power Line Technician
- Responsible for installation, maintenance, repair, and removal of overhead and underground electric and/or fiber optic distribution systems
- Systems include the conductor and/or fiber optic cable, as well as the wood or steel poles which support and carry the conductor and/or fiber optic cable
- Data collection: checking defective equipment; checking maps
- Ground level work: cable locates; flag person; equipment operator; observer (e.g. guiding loads)
- Pole installation: Load/unload poles; install and frame wood/steel poles: remove existing poles
- Underground work: Install primary and/or secondary cable by direct burial
fault locating; splicing and termination of cables.
Truck & Coach Technician
- Responsible for the inspection, repair, maintenance, and emergency repair to Hydro One fleet vehicles and trucks as well as the hydraulic equipment on the vehicles
- Maintaining inspection schedules and coordinating/scheduling repairs to be contracted out
- Office-related tasks: order and pick up parts;
- Pick-up & delivery: drive and deliver vehicles to and from the garage
- Safety inspections: inspect facility, equipment and tools
- Small Vehicle Inspection and Repair: includes disassembling, cleaning and rebuilding parts
- Warehouse Inventory
- Large Vehicle Inspection and Repair: includes engine boosting and service calls to site
- Large Parts Repair and Replacement & Fieldwork: includes vehicle recovery.
- Responsible for removing brush, diseased trees and branches that have potential to interfere with electricity transmission lines; Works with a partner or as part of a crew.
- Spotter: Communicate hazards; reposition bucket truck; maintenance; chain and blade replacement; trimming from ground level; branch and/or tree cutting.
- Brush clean up/Chipping: cut branches into manageable pieces with chainsaw/hand saw; feed branches into chipper; sweeping/raking/ shovelling woodchips and debris
- Brush removal: cut/remove brush and small trees on transmission and distribution right of ways.
Meter Technician Trainee
- Responsible to complete a training program to become a qualified Meter Technician Journeyperson by accumulating 6,000 hours of related metering work experience.
- Install, operate, repair, trouble shoot and safely maintain accurate electric metering installations to Hydro One customers.
- Trainees will be required to travel and work throughout the province and may be stationed at any Hydro One facility.
Click here to view Current Job Opportunities